jake thompson

Thursday 20 October 2011

Little Boxes...

One of the areas I chose to develop was the idea of cutting in to my cubes. I looked into packaging which had areas removed, or added to the exterior to add another dimension to a seemingly mundane box. I came across this wonderful packaging design by www.lovelypackage.com. I love the way the box slides out from its cover to show the beautiful white tray with trees and snow cut into it. This company treat packaging as art, and I think it makes the products they sell much more engaging.Cutting into my boxes was one of my favourite things to do, and I was really inspired by Rob Ryan. Although he doesn't work in 3D, I really enjoy how he creates a range of depths and tone just by cutting bits of paper away. I had the chance to meet Rob Ryan at a book signing at the Yorkshire Sculpture Park on the 15th October, and seeing his original works up close was really inspirational.


In my opinion, die cutting or removing material from packaging is one of the most effective things you can do to engage the viewer - people love to be able to pick things up and interact with them, and even though it's a very simple idea, it's very effective when it's done properly, like at Lovely Package.

No comments:

Post a Comment