jake thompson

Thursday 20 October 2011

Charles Rennie Mackintosh

I was researching Mackintosh for my architecture cube in this project, and was amazed at how modern and functional his architecture, in particular was. I checked a book out from the library called The Hill House, about a house Mackintosh designed, built and furnished for a wealthy Scottish publisher. Its evident from the interior especially how he was inspired by Japanese art and architecture - shown through his use of grids and contrast between dark structural wood and light translucent glass.


I also looked at The Glasgow School of Art, my favourite room being the Library. I think Mackintosh's greatest success was striking the balance between beauty and functionality. His rooms were atmospheric and intriguing to look at, but they're also practical and spacious. This was one of my favourite boxes to create.

No comments:

Post a Comment